Pages

1 March 2010

MD

I have to admit something.

I don't like water and I LOVE Mountain Dew.


(For those of you that do not know what Mountain Dew is, it is a lemon-lime flavoured soda made by Pepsi.)

I used to drink Mountain Dew quite a lot- 3-4 cans a day-not necessarily for the caffeine in the highly-sugared and caffeinated drink, but because I liked it and I drank it. Milk, my other drink of choice, if difficult to take with you to class and does not have the refreshing effect of Mountain Dew.

When I first came to London for a study abroad semester, it was a shock to the system to come off of my drink of choice and find something else to hydrate me. Enter tea. (Maybe I do have a caffeine need in my life.) Tea has been wonderful and probably better for me, but on a warm spring or summer day, I do not want a steaming cup of tea. I want Mountain Dew.

So imagine my surprise when, on a weekend trip to Camberwell to wander and explore, I found Mountain Dew in the Chinese supermarket! Ok, it's not the original American stuff made with high-fructose corn syrup (something about it not really being allowed so much in the EU?) so it has a slightly different taste and it's imported from the Philippines, but as I sit here and sip this particular can of Mountain Dew in the beginning of spring sunshine, it's close enough for me.

I probably won't go crazy and start making deals with the Chinese supermarket to buy in bulk, but every once in a while, on a spring or summer day(... or another day), I may treat myself to a 79p drink. Sounds silly, but Mountain Dew reminds me of North Carolina sunshine, driving in my car, high school, being silly and young, and, sad as it may be, puts a smile on my face.

To whatever you may be drinking today, be it tea, coffee, water or Mountain Dew, I hope you are having a sunshine-filled day. Cheers and Chomps!

3 comments:

  1. I wanted a Mountain Dew after reading this! There is something special about the taste and the bubbles. Somehow it wouldn't be the same if there weren't any bubbles or if the combination of tastes was not exactly as I expect. I will drink it until I die, which will be quite soon if I keep drinking it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through a mutual friend ;) and am enjoying it immensely! Hope you're having an awesome March so far. I've added you to my reading list!

    Viva Mountain Dew! I wish I could find Tab Clear somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog, Elizabeth! I also love Mountain Dew- drink of choice in Kentucky, too.

    ReplyDelete