Pages

16 May 2010

My favorite season


I know I haven't been cooking a lot of Greek food lately, but I cannot seem to muster my strength against the call of spring. When there is even a hint of spring in the air, sometimes even when the crocuses have first started to bloom, I crave salad, vegetables and light dishes instead of the core-warming stews, roasts and heavy meals of the winter months. My own spring tastebuds awaken with the flowers.

Last summer, I went to Cyprus with my fiance and his family during the height of the heat- late July/early August. We visited some family, saw the sights and of course went to the beach. But the heat just about killed me. When I am hot, I do not like to eat much of anything and even then only cool, refreshing meals that will be light to the taste and to my stomach. Many of the meals in Cyprus had elements of this- salad, cucumbers- but not a lot. We had souvla (roasted meat on the grill), hot cooked beans and even soup (this was specially made for my fiance to be fair). All of these had beautifully fresh and tasty vegetabls and were very good, though I was surprised not to find a slightly different diet to the Greek food I have encountered in London. I suppose I expected more cold dishes, more fish, more dishes with lighter flavors to combat the oppressive heat. Then again, I seemed to be the only one having any trouble with the heat, so maybe my views are merely a consequence of my northern-latitude-bred blood. From what I know of Greek dishes and what I have tried, I have not found anything that will satisfy my springtime light and refreshing cravings.

In the meantime, until my regular tastebuds make an appearance, I made crab cakes with roasted potatoes and green beans. Ok, that doesn't sound too light, cool or refreshing, but it was! The crab cakes were flavorful and filling without being too heavy and delightfully spring-y with a squeeze of lemon. The potatoes gave the meal a bit of filing, but not too much, and the green beans added a springtime touch of vegetables.

I have never made crab cakes before, but I found a fantastic recipe and gave it a go.


Combine flaked crab meat, mayo, mustard, egg, garlic powder, finely chopped green onions, breadcrumbs and a dash of cayenne pepper.

Then make small cakes or patties of the crab mixture.

Roll the crab cakes in breadcrumbs or crushed crackers, whatever you have on hand.



Heat a little oil in a skillet and start frying the crab cakes. I wasn't sure how long they would take to cook all the way through, but after each side was golden brown I served them. I think it was about 7 minutes all together.


No idea about that bubble.

A tasty spring meal!

Maybe this isn't everyone's idea of a springtime meal and maybe my tastebuds and spring stomach are a little off. I'll get back to Greek food soon, but with all the great vegetables coming up, the flowers in bloom and the feel of refreshing possibility in the air, how can I resist?
PS- You can find the whole recipe in its original form on Allrecipes.com here.

No comments:

Post a Comment